Tuesday, August 31, 2010

[In The Game] Jousting

Jousting is awesome. I think there should be more of it in games we play. Jousters are the rock-stars of the medieval times. And whether you are running a historical game or a complete fantasy, it's got it's place, either on the road or in a tourney. A chance for your players to grab that glory and ride down their enemies on horseback with a lance.

It lasted nearly 700 years! The first recorded tourney was in 1066. Henry II of France, the king, died as a result of this sport. The friggin' King of France took part. It was that popular. It lasted nearly 700 years! And now it's a popular draw in Las Vegas and at ren faires all around the world.

I hope that at some point soon, jousting becomes the thing to do in RPGs.

4 comments:

  1. I don't have a copy, but Dragon #17 had an article on jousting rules in early D&D. Huzzah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll check on the Dragon Magazine Archive for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to use the jousting rules in Mentzer's Companion Set quite a bit back in the day. It was always fun for me to roll up a bunch of knights, then let our characters trash them in the lists.

    Recently, having tried Chainmail, I'm kinda interested in trying out the diceless jousting rules in there. They look fun, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my ongoing Pendragon campaign, the first-ever tournament just took place. I'm very much looking forward to the Tournament Phase, when players can join the "tournament circuit" and participate in as many jousts per year as injuries and travel time will allow.

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately, due to spam, I have set up comment moderation. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.