Friday, August 20, 2010

[Vids] Tales of the Gold Monkey

Tales of the Gold Monkey was a 1982 action/adventure show starring Stephen Collins (as pilot Jake Cutter) and Caitlin O'Heaney (as spy Sarah Stickney White and Jake's love interest) set in the Pacific during the late 1930s, right before the start of World War II. It was created by Donald Bellisario (of Magnum, P.I. fame) in response to Raiders of the Lost Ark. It had a one-eyed Jack Russell Terrier named Jack who, when asked a question, barked once for No and twice for Yes. I loved this show as a kid and was excited when it was released on DVD this year.

But would it survive the Nostalgia Train?

I got the first disk from Netflix which included the two-part Pilot (with John Hillerman from Magnum, P.I. as the baddie), Shanghaied and Black Pearl. All of these episodes were excellent and had tons of good for ideas for my Distinguished Flying Cross Savage Worlds setting. I plan on getting the other five DVDs (18 episodes) from Netflix soon.

I also found a website dedicated to the show at Goldmonkey.com, with pictures, information and an episode guide. And you can find information on Leo the Dog, who played Jack, at TV Acres. He sadly passed away at age 21 on April 6, 1989.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unfortunately, due to spam, I have set up comment moderation. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.