Friday, June 4, 2010

[Auld Lang 'Zine] 1001+1 Nights, Issue #0

Issue #0, One Thousand and One Nights and One Night RPG Campaign Design 'zine

Here's the first issue of my old One Thousand and One Nights and One Night RPG Campaign Design 'zine, even though it's correctly labeled Issue #0.

I had been kicking around the idea of starting a 'zine for a while, after reading Christian Walker's excellent Scrollworks and Iridia 'zines and finally, while in the midst of grad school studying, decided to pull the hammer on it.

Since I was determined to have a two-page PDF, I wanted to know what it would be like to do a single page. If I could do one page, I could probably do two. So I wrote this short introduction, and jumped all around with the subjects, creating a mish-mash of content.

I remember writing this 'zine using Open Office and not building a stable nameplate (often mistaken as a masthead) that I did for later 'zines because I had so many problems it. I used Chiller for the titles and Georgia for the text.

The icon of the skeleton was a style choice for the nameplate - each subsequent issue has part of this series of skeleton woodcuts, showing only one skeleton or character at a time. I remember really liking this little bit of graphic and I don't think I had to repeat any more than twice in the course of the 50 issues.

I start several long-running subjects, including My Style and Actual Play, not to mention What I'm Reading and Quotes (both used for this blog, too).

I added only two game notes to the webpage:
And the links are still working, an amazing thing with the ever-changing internet.

As a first-try, I'm moderately pleased.

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately, I've been hit by a spammer to this comment thread. This is the first time I've deleted a comment and the feeling of vitality rushing through me has made me drunk with absolute power!

    Rest assured, I will only use this for good as I fear the addicting qualities of this ability may cause the world to end.

    Hope you are having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately, due to spam, I have set up comment moderation. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.