Labyrinth Lord adventure set in the Ashford Valley.
Get Ready:The PCs are in town when a soldier rudely runs through the group, chasing a butterfly which disappears around a corner.
Get Set:The soldier comes back to the PCs, apologizing profusely. He spotted a rare butterfly and wanted to capture it alive for a friend. He'll ask them to help him find it. If the PCs are friendly and helpful, they'll make a good contact.
Go!:The butterfly proves to be very difficult to find, leading the PCs to encounter a variety of people and situations. Roll 1d8 several times and consult the results below:
1. A young Ranger, fresh from the country. This ranger is not interested in butterflies but may have information that leads to another adventure.
Ranger (Normal Man); No. Encountered: 1; Alignment: Lawful; Armor Class: 7 (leather armor); Hit Dice: 1d8, Hit Points: 7; Attacks: longsword (1d8) and longbow (1d8); Save: F1; morale: 9, Special abilities: tracking.
2. The PCs are accosted by a drunk man, who asks them for help. If they talk with the man, he tells them he's got to stop drinking because he saw a small faerie, flying around his head, this morning. He can point out where the faerie was easily and then seeks out a priest for help with his addiction.
3. A spoiled nobleman and his men block the PCs on their quest by jamming the street with an impromptu party.
Lord Froop; Alignment: Neutral; Armor Class: 7 (fine leather coat); Hit Dice: 1d8, Hit Points: 8; Attacks: longsword (1d8); Save: F1; morale: 6.
Liveried Servants (3 Normal Men); No. Encountered: 3; Alignment: Neutral; Armor Class: 7 (leather); Hit Dice: 1d8, Hit Points: 6, 5, 5; Attacks: short sword (1d6), dagger (1d4); Save: NM1; morale: 7.
Party-goers; No. Encountered: 1d6+3; Alignment: Neutral; Armor Class: 9; Hit Dice: 1d8, Hit Points: 6, 6, 5, 4, 4, 3, 3, 2; Attacks: none; Save: NM1; morale: 3.
4. A child approaches the PCs and asks them to help his pet cat. The cat is in a tree, menaced by a mongrel dog. If the PCs help, the child tells them that he's seen butterflies over by the cooper's house on Fleet Street, which leads the PCs straight to several of the rare butterflies. If the PCs don't help the child, the child cries, kicks one of the PCs and runs off.
5. The PCs are accosted by some men with an invite to an impromptu street party. The men are more of the spoiled nobles retinue.
Liveried Servants (3 Normal Men); No. Encountered: 3; Alignment: Neutral; Armor Class: 7 (leather); Hit Dice: 1d8, Hit Points: 6, 5, 5; Attacks: short sword (1d6), dagger (1d4); Save: N0; morale: 7.
6. The PCs see the butterfly fly down the street, into a crowd. The crowd is a mix of people, all going about their business. Washer women cleaning and hanging clothes, children and dogs playing, more of those spoiled nobleman's servants, wagoneers delivering barrels of beer and other goods. Tripping, a brawl and general mayhem occur during the whole chase.
7. The watch. A group of the town watch is following the PCs. If they are acting suspiciously (and the odds are that they are), the watch will stop them "for vagrancy" and subtly demand a bribe or off to the slammer!
The Town Watch (3 Normal Men); No. Encountered: 3; Alignment: Neutral; Armor Class: 6 (leather & shield); Hit Dice: 1d8, Hit Points: 7 each; Attacks: spear (1d6), dagger (1d4); Save: F1; morale: 8.
8. The return of Rodrigo and Felipe! Two brothers accost the PCs, demanding that they take sides in their argument about a recent town council pronouncement. Whether the PCs have encountered the two before, they are treated as old friends of the both of them and discussion turns to a duel, with choice of swords, seconds and time hotly debated. If the two are kept apart and the PCs manage to calm them down, a herald announces a change in the pronouncement, and the brothers change sides! If the party help the brothers duel, an old woman (their mother) interrupts the duel with a broom and beats all present, including the PCs!
Rodrigo and Felipe (2 Normal Men); Alignment: Neutral; Armor Class: 7(leather); Hit Dice: 1d8, Hit Points: 8 each; Attacks: longsword (1d8); Save: F1; morale: 12 (They are extreme in their politics!).
Whatever the outcome, the PCs have found fast friends in the brothers (and cruel GMs should have them appear on many occasions to add trouble and drama to the PCs lives).
Notable NPCs:The Butterfly (1); Alignment: -none-; Armor Class: 9; Hit Dice: 1d1, Hit Points: 1; Attacks: -none-; Save: -none-; Special abilities: flight; Morale: 1.
Gamma Red Death World
4 years ago