Tuesday, August 16, 2011

[Books] The Eagle of the Ninth

I'm reading Rosemary Sutcliff's 1954 novel The Eagle of the Ninth (made recently as The Eagle) and it's pretty enjoyable. I haven't seen the movie yet but that's in the plan. The book concerns the son of a Roman Centurion that disappeared with the Ninth Legion (Legio IX Hispana) in 117 CE in (what is now) Scotland. The novel takes place 10 years later, when the son, now a wounded and decommissioned Roman Centurion, seeks the mystery of the loss of the Legion and the fate of his father.

It's good so far and I'm amazed that I haven't heard of it before now. It's the start of a series of books by Sutcliff so there are more to read. Check it out.

3 comments:

  1. I read and enjoyed this when I was quite young, enough so that I've collected her books ever since. I've been meaning to reread it again and it's on my short list of books to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this back in high school, and quite enjoyed it. I never read any of her other books, though. This may have been the only one our local library had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a very nice book and I don't remember it being available in my jr. high or high school. I'll be getting the rest of the series from my local library and probably will post about those books, too.

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately, due to spam, I have set up comment moderation. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.