Sunday, March 14, 2010

['zines] Latest Switching to Guns available now!

Issues #19 and #20 are now available on my Switching to Guns website.

.
.
.

Before I started this blog, I wrote bits of info about what I was thinking on my Switching to Guns website. In an effort to streamline the 'zine page, I've removed these posts and placed them here, in their rough and tumble form, for posterity.

January 24, 2010: I've started my own gaming blog named Asshat Paladins. I figure others have done so and so why shouldn't I? Will this keep me from my 'zines, you may well ask? Rest assured, more Switching to Guns is due soon.

January 13, 2010:
Happy New Year! More
Switching to Guns and Get Ready, Get Set, Go! Labyrinth Lord adventures set in the Ashford Valley coming soon.

December 26, 2009:
New issues of
Switching to Guns are now available.

Issue #16 is the last of the Deep Forest Road adventures (#5) for my Ashford Valley
Labyrinth Lord setting (don't worry, there will be more Ashford Valley adventures to come).

Issue #17 is a bit of a blast from the past, a brochure I made about a hole in the ground that you may want your PCs to visit.

I've also updated the
Switching to Guns Extras, with Gnome Trouble, another Get Ready, Get Set, Go! Labyrinth Lord adventure set in the Ashford Valley.

December 20, 2009:
I've been working on
The Supercrew Papers and added a bunch of characters, foes and situations from a variety of threads on RPG.net. Don't worry - I'll get back to publishing Switching to Guns issues pretty soon!

December 15, 2009: The past couple of days, I've posted a bunch of characters (specifically write-ups for the Watchmen) as well as some opponents for the Supercrew RPG by Tobias Radesater on RPG.net. So I decided to build another page for this growing site called The Supercrew Papers devoted totally to the Supercrew RPG.

December 15, 2009: I finished my class, turned in my take-home Final yesterday.

This class was the last one (Lucky #13 over the course of 4 years!) I had to take in order to finish my Masters in Engineering (from the University of Washington) while working full time in the largest building by volume in the world.

When my grades come in next week, I'll be "officially" done. I'll walk in graduation next June.

I'm done with school for a while now (negotiations are underway with the girlfriend with respect to continuing to get a PhD).

Expect more updates to the 'zine soon.

November 28, 2009: I'm a reader of a wide variety of gaming blogs and other gaming sites and there are lots of cool ideas, monsters and treasures out there. I often think "that would work great with my Ashford Valley
Labyrinth Lord setting" so I've added the Ashford Valley News page to link to those sites. Check it out!

November 19, 2009: I've added a page for my Switching to Guns Extras, including my Get Ready, Get Set, Go!
Labyrinth Lord adventures set in the Ashford Valley. I posted my first Get Ready, Get Set, Go! adventure on RPG.net, Goblinoid Games, Giant in the Playground, Steve Jackson Games and ENWorld forums when I announced my issues 14 and 15 in October. Be on the watch for more as I've got several in the planning stages. If you use them, let me know!

October 31, 2009: My subscribers are a loyal bunch and I provide them with largess in appreciation. They always get the 'zine before I post it here and if I'm trying something new (or trying something old), they get that, too.

Many in Academia believe that there are only 48 issues of my excellent old 'zine,
One Thousand and One Nights and One Night RPG Campaign Design 'zine. Well, that's not entirely true. I published two more issues (one in March and the other earlier this month) just for my subscribers.

So, in honor of Hallowe'en, and with the backing of the Corvis Babbage Cliological Society Board of Trustees in association with Wooden Leg Named Smith Productions, I present the last two official issues of
One Thousand and One Nights and One Night RPG Campaign Design 'zine:

Issue #49 Issue #50

There won't be any more of those, folks, so get them while you can.

And if you are interested in joining my subscriber group to get my
Switching to Guns 'zine before I officially post it and maybe other cool stuff, send me an email at 1001nightsand1night (at) gmail (dot) com and tell me you want to join to get all the free stuff, prizes and prestige!

Enjoy!

October 28, 2009: Another couple of issues of
Switching to Guns Ashford Valley Labyrinth Lord setting for you, continuing the adventures along the Deep Forest Road.

Issue 14 starts with the PCs meeting a dwarf with a problem: his gold mine is next to an abandoned manor house in the Deep Forest and he's got some trouble.

Issue 15 has the PCs meeting another dwarf who is a witness to orcs attacking bandits to save a merchant caravan. Have the orcs become the good guys?


September 28, 2009: Switching to Guns and One Thousand and One Nights and One Night RPG Campaign Design 'zine have been mentioned in the latest All Games Considered podcast (Episode No. 113). I'm a big fan of All Games Considered and hosts Mark Kinney, Mags and Carol (and past host Chris) so thanks very much!

I'm currently in negotiations with Christian Walker of Iridia 'zine and Destination Unknown blog to collaborate on some gaming stuff. We'll let you know what we come up with!

A comment page for the site will remain what it always is: send me an email at 1001nightsand1night (at) gmail (dot) com and I'll post it.

September 13, 2009: A bit of time since the last update. Here's another set of my Labyrinth Lord Ashford Valley setting issues, this time the first two of five adventures along the Deep Forest Road:

Issue #12: More info on the Ashford Valley's mysterious Runestones. A merchant, some robbers and a band of orcs mix it up and an ancient curse changes everything. Can your players solve the mystery?

Issue #13: A bunch of Rangers are overdue in the forest. Will the PCs find them in time? And why are two Bugbears wandering around the woods?


August 5, 2009: I recently got 3 kittens (all brothers and about 100 days old), so I've been up to my ears in cat toys, feeding the hungry boys and playing cat games. However, I wanted to post several more issues of Switching to Guns.

Issue #10 has the actual play notes from a Savage Worlds Slipstream/Iron Lords of Jupiter game I ran late last year. It was a fun, fun time.

Issue #11 continues the Fae Portland setting for Changeling: The Dreaming from Issue #1. Enjoy!

July 10, 2009: Here's issue #9 of Switching to Guns. This issue is the 5th High Bridge Road adventure, dealing with a former Bugbear lair, taken over by ... well, you'll just have to read it and find out!

June 13, 2009: Finished with my finals, so here's the latest issue of
Switching to Guns. This issue, #8, deals with the return of the Elven Brothers from issue #5, in the 4th of the High Bridge Road adventures.

May 18, 2009:
Happy Mount Saint Helen's Day! 29 years ago today, that Old Dame of Washington state blew her top and what a show it was. In honor of this momentous display of nature's sheer might, I present you with another of my Ashford Valley adventures.

The bandits taken care of in issue #5 and #6 with much hacking and whacking, so issue #7 has a new menace: A cave in the woods, formerly a grave, now housing some undead beasties and other dangers. (I call it "The Burrow" and, yes, I know that I made a mistake there. No access to wikipedia while writing led to this sorry end and a laziness that doesn't want me to correct it keeps it the same).

April 19, 2009: Another adventure for my Ashford Valley setting is contained in issue #6. Continuing with the Bandits from last issue, if any survived, they're hiding out in their lair, an old tower in the woods. Can the PCs end the bandit menace once and for all?

April 6, 2009: I've decided to use
Switching to Guns to expand on my Labyrinth Lord Ashford Valley setting. I've created 5 adventures for the High Bridge Road and I've got plans to have another 5 adventures on the Deep Forest Road and 5 each for the towns (Ashford, Clifton, Sooton and Tradetown) plus an two adventure tie-up of the campaign (that's 32 adventures!). Also, I'll be including some info on the people, religions and culture of the valley.

April 5, 2009: I've been working on the 'zine quite a bit and here is issue #5: Bandits on the High Bridge Road, an adventure in my Ashford Valley
Labyrinth Lord setting.

March 9, 2009: Issue #4 is the start of a Chat-based game I'm running for some friends at work. I'll be using the Labyrinth Lord system, a retro-clone D20 game from Goblinoid Games, and the adventures will take place in a little valley I created called the Ashford Valley (I've included a map). I also plan on posting some of the actual Chat play from the game (I've included the first session in the side-bar). I plan on a whole series of issues on adventures in and information about this valley, so keep coming back for more!

February 27, 2009: If you read Iridia 'zine, check out issue # 91. Yes, that issue was written by ME! Wow!

I was reading over at Story Games about the Indie Contract. The author states: "What it boils down to is this: If you're not designing for everyone - for the People Out There who aren't on SG or The Forge or whatever - it might be a good idea to tell them that."

Well, here's my indie designer statement: I write these 'zines for fun. I'm not doing this for everyone. They might not be for you. But, if they are, and if you can get something out of it, even just 1% for your own game, that's great. Thanks for reading and maybe someday you'll let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unfortunately, due to spam, I have set up comment moderation. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.