Friday, February 5, 2010

[Resources] Maps, maps, maps


Recently, a co-worker retired and gave me all the old road maps he had in his desk. He's moving to West Virginia and plans on stopping by AAA to get more so he didn't need these out-of-date maps.

I gladly took them. It was quite a stack.

I love maps. Every time I go to a used bookstore, I check out the travel section, for maps, books, anything which may be useful in future games. So far, I've got a small collection of maps and guidebooks, which are useful for modern or near-modern games, even post-apocalyptic games.

I don't have to worry about damaging them or the players writing all over them or spilling stuff on them, and they get a new life in a new game.

Next time you are in a used bookstore, look in the travel section. Or at a friend or relatives house, check if they have any old maps they don't want anymore. You may find a map or book that gives you some ideas for a game.

And the cheaper the better, with free the best of all.

2 comments:

  1. There is a map store in Jacksonville, FL., that seemed like a great place for the CIA to operate out of, as it was in front of an office building, and just seemed so incongruous a place to have, there, that I mentioned my hypothesis to my at the time SO.

    The clerk suggested I keep my interesting idea to myself, in case I was correct.

    For all that, I still love maps. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cats!

    A map shop that's a clandestine CIA office, kinda like the one in the Robert Redford movie: Three Days of the Condor.

    That's a great idea for a modern game, not for an espionage game but for a weird fantasy (like Unknown Armies-style) or urban fantasy (ala Charles de Lint) setting.

    And the fact that the clerk provided a not-so-subtle hint about keeping ones ideas to oneself! Classic.

    I'll have to remember that one!

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately, due to spam, I have set up comment moderation. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.