Tuesday, November 5, 2013

[Resources] Oakeshott Typology

One of the things I love about this hobby are all the opportunities to learn history. And swords. Because swords are present in nearly every game I play.

Historian Ewart Oakeshott wrote a book called The Archaeology of Weapons: Arms and Armour from Prehistory to the Age of Chivalry (1960) that outlined 13 types of medieval swords (Type X to XXII) that were made from the 11th to 15th century.

Oakeshott's book was a continuation of Jan Petersen's De Norske Vikingsverg (1919), translated as The Norwegian Viking Swords, and R.E.M. Wheeler's book London and the Vikings (1927), outlining the first 9 types of swords (Type I to IX).

The Oakeshott Institute has info on the types of swords and several research articles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unfortunately, due to spam, I have set up comment moderation. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.